Carpet Work for I-Groups Facilitation Training
August 9th – 11th
Facilitation training is one of the skills MKP brothers are hungriest for. The IGFT is an excellent place to start honing those skills, but currently there are few opportunities to learn more advanced facilitation methods. Carpet Work is one of the most powerful, safe and effective ways to lead process work both in I-Groups and the GUTS carpet. It is a simplified version of Shadow Work® facilitation created by Cliff Barry, one of the earliest NWTA full leaders.
Giles Carwyn is a certified Shadow Work® coach and facilitator. He has lead Carpet Work trainings for both MKP and mixed-gender groups in New York and throughout the Carolinas. Giles is willing to travel to any MKP area and lead up to ten men through a Carpet Work Facilitation Training weekend.
The three-day Carpet Work for I-Groups Facilitation Training introduces basic recipe and underlying philosophy of Carpet Work style of process facilitation. It is a great place to start if you are interested in leading process work in your I-group, but feel like you lack the skills and knowledge to step out and facilitate a process from beginning to end. It is also a great way for more experienced facilitators to step more deeply into their intuitive and intellectual mastery of the skill.
Carpet Work style facilitation was specifically designed by Shadow Work Seminars to be safe and effective in both mixed and single gender containers. The same recipe Giles will be teaching is used by both men and women all over the world.
What to expect:
- The seminar will start by creating a strong container
- Each of participant will have a chance to identify what it is you want from your growth as a facilitator.
- We will look what things inside of you get in the way of your growth as a facilitator. Through teaching and practicing the Honoring the Risk process, we will validate those resistant parts of yourself, find out where they are coming from and what they are trying to accomplish, and seek their support as you continue your journey.
- We will learn the basic recipe for a carpet work process. We will identify each “part” of a carpet work process learn how each part fits into the whole. You will have an opportunity to practice each step with a partner and get constructive feedback on how effectively you are using the skill.
- Then each man will have a chance to do a full carpet work process. They can work on whatever they choose, but they will be encouraged take a deeper look at what is holding them back in their facilitation. My assumption is that a man’s desires and struggles with facilitation mirror his desires and struggles with the rest of his life and working on one will benefit the other.
- Each participant will have an opportunity to facilitate another person’s work supported by myself and the rest of the group. We will use a “freeze frame” process to share insights and consider options at each major decision point along the way. Each participant will have a chance to facilitate a process all the way through from beginning to end.
- Then we will integrate what we have learned, discuss additional tips and tricks, and make a plan for how we want to bring these new skills back to your E-circle or I-group.
By the end of the weekend participants should be familiar with:
- What is carpet work and why it is so effective
- The stages of learning to facilitate
- How to facilitate more safely
- Identifying your shadows that might show up when you are facilitating
- The basic recipe for carpet work including:
- Finding the Big Want
- Splitting out the Dynamic
- Building a Perfect Part
- Regressing the Splits
- Choosing a Direction
- Running the Process
- Anchoring and Affirmation
- Skills to use within the process including:
- Honoring the Risk
- Warrior Runs
- Ideal Support
- Conforming to a Feeling
- The energetic purpose behind each step of the process
- When to ditch the recipe
- How to make meaningful suggestions by noticing which archetypal energies are out of balance
- Helping the participant bring in missing archetypal energies and/or tap into more mature versions of the energies that already exist
- A menu of other processes you can run
- Where and why participants get stuck
- How to keep things on time and on track
- How to create trust and safety by the energy you embody on the carpet
- Common problems & how to solve them
— Certified Shadow Work ® Coach and Facilitator
Giles is a workshop creator and leader who specializes in men’s sexuality. He is also a novelist, screenwriter, husband, father, and leader in the Asheville, NC ManKind Project. His passion for Shadow Work stems from a lifelong calling to dig under the surface, find the compassionate truth and bring it forth into the world. 828-782-7110 email@example.com
This is a non-residential seminar. You are responsible for your own food and lodging. Snacks will be provided.
Limited to 10 participants.
412 Hazel Mill Rd.
Asheville, NC 28806